American artist living in France, born 1955
American artist living in France, born 1955
About his Art
Born in Massachusetts in 1955. After completing studies in philosophy (aesthetics and metaphysics), he came to Europe where he completed studies at the Künstakademie in Vienna.
He has painted throughout the world, improvising his atelier in the worker hotels of Istanbul and Prague, in Scottish farms and Bangkok high-rises. Private studies with the painter Zao Wou Ki, long discussions with the painter Sam Francis, and thirty plus years of walks in the city of light have all been major influences.
The French Cultural Ministry has given him a lifetime studio in the heart of Paris, a few metro stops from the ‘Ile de la Cité’ and Notre-Dame. His implantation in France puts him in contact with writers, painters, actors and musicians from France and all around the world.
His life and work have been the subject of a documentary film for the French Centre National de Recherche Scientifique. He has lived and worked in Paris since 1982.
Biographical information that, although not format-worthy, may have a pertinence to your perception and appreciation of his work.
1. Strange jobs: night watchman at the Gardner Museum, Boston (Rembrandt and Vermeer studies by flashlight !), taxi driver on a single-road island, piano player in bars all around the world.
2. Best advice: from Zao Wou Ki, 'Il faut que vous vous perdiez' ('You must get more lost' or perhaps he just meant 'Get lost') and 'Breadth not depth' from Sam Francis, who always seemed worried about Tim going off the deep end.
3. Travels: 24 countries in 3 continents, lots of planes and trains, many shows, a few master classes and a couple of memorable hotels, but also more than 50,000 kilometers of hitch-hiking, some of it above the Arctic Circle. Tim has slept outdoors with nothing between him and the stars nearly everywhere.
4. Best deal ever made: traded the full packet of his life model drawings in Vienna for a train ticket to Paris. In retrospect Tim adds 'It's clear that the drawings were downright poor and that the trip has been quite good'.
5. Greatest gift ever received: empty math pads Tim's dad would take home on Friday after his week as a math teacher. They enabled Tim to do drawings for years without worrying about running out of paper.
Artworks of Tim Smith are available at the Kálmán Makláry Fine Arts.
- Art Paris / Grand Palais / Paris - 2017
- Brafa / Tour et Taxis / Brussels - 2017
- Art Elysées / Champs Elysées / Paris - 2016
- Grand Palais / ArtParis w /Kalman Maklary / Paris - 2016
- Brafa, Kalman Maklary Gallery / Brussels - 2016
- Art Elysées, Kalman Maklary Gallery / Paris - 2015
- BNC Int'l Art Fair, Kalman Maklary Gallery / Barcelona - 2015
- Start/Saatchi Gallery, with Kalman Maklary / London - 2015
- Art 15, Kalman Maklary Gallery / London - 2015
- Mairie du 13eme / Paris - 2014
- Philomuses / Paris - 2013
- Bretonneau Hospital / Paris - 2012
- Philomuses / Paris - 2010
- Affordable Art Fair / New York - 2007
- N’Namdi Gallery, AAF Contemporary Art Fair / New York - 2006
- Hofmann Gallery Frankfurt, International Art Fair / Bodensee - 2006
- Gallery N'Namdi / Chicago - 2006
- La Poste / Paris - 2005
- Art Fair Cologne / Köln - 2004
- Nexcom / Paris - 2003
- Zurich Assurances / Paris - 2002
- Gallery Schoeneck / Basel - 2002
- Gallery Hofmann / Frankfurt - 2001
- Fédération Continentale / Paris - 2001
- Gallery Schoeneck / Basel - 2000
- Gallery Erez / Paris - 2000
- Festival / Aix les Bains - 2000
- Société Générale / Paris - 1999
- Gallery Schoeneck / Basel - 1998
- Gallery Montbel / Paris - 1997
- Ambiente + Tendenzen / Frankfurt - 1997
- Mac2000 / Paris - 1996
- Art Expo / New York - 1996
- Gallery Montbel / Paris - 1995
- Gallery Schoeneck / Basel - 1995
- Gallery Schoeneck / Basel - 1992
- Gallery Espinosa / Paris - 1990
- Gallery Groedl / Toronto - 1990
- Gallery Souryu / Tokyo - 1990
- Gallery AR / Brest - 1987
- American Embassy / Paris - 1986
- Gallery Jean Fournier / Paris - 1984
- Künstmesse / Basel - 1982
- United Nations / Vienna - 1981
- Fulbright scholarships
- Rockefeller Foundation studio in Paris
- Körner Prize (Austrian presidential award for painting) - 1982
- Grand Prix des Arts et des Lettres, Nice - 1990
- Prix spécial, Japan Art Association - 1998
- Deloitte & Touche - Boston, MA
- Oracle Corporation - Rochester, NY
- John Hancock - Boston, MA
- FNAC (French museum collection) - Paris
- Tudor Investments - Boston, MA
- SimplexGrinnell - Westminster, MA
- XL Catlin - Pembroke, Bermuda
- Babson College - Wellesley, MA
- Putnam Investments - Boston, MA
- Dwyer & Collora - Boston, MA
- Arc Union - Paris
- MCVP Insurance - Paris
- RIVP (building development headquarters) - Paris
- Zurich Insurance - Paris & Zurich
- WilmerHale - Boston, MA